Sunday, August 23, 2009

Paci Weaning

Or maybe I shouldn't call it weaning since we've gone cold turkey?

I went out shopping yesterday afternoon and Jeff put Kate down for her nap. When I came home and got her up, I couldn't find her paci anywhere - Jeff said that he had forgotten to give it to her. He said she cried for about 30 seconds, but fell right asleep, and she took a GREAT long nap, like 3 hours!! She never missed the paci!

So, I thought I'd try and see what happened that night if I put her to bed without a paci. She never missed a step! She went right down, never cried, never asked for it or anything! Amazing! So I continued today. Everything went well without a hitch! I guess we'll keep this going, but I can't believe she's taking this so well. I thought this was going to be a battle for the ages! I suppose there's still time for it to get ugly, but so far so good!

The only thing I'm nervous about is our trip to Chicago starting Thursday. I'm not sure how she's going to react to the plane, and the paci is always a good measure to quiet her down... But at this point I'm worried that giving her the paci just that once would undo everything we've worked at this week. I suppose I'll bring one with us and use it only in case of emergency. :)

She is feeling a little bit better today. She felt a little warm but I never took her temperature, I wouldn't be surprised if she was still running a low-grade. My mom is going to watch her tomorrow, because while she was out sick from daycare, a stomach virus swept through the place! So maybe we're fortunate she got what she had, and not the stomach bug! Since we are headed up to Chicago, I REALLY don't want her to catch that, so I want to make sure the virus is completely gone from daycare before I send her back!

Here's a quick picture I took of Kate tonight. You can tell she's not 100% - she looks so pale! Anyway, we're fired up for college football around here!

Photobucket

1 comment:

the bowlin family said...

laura, she is too cute!! i am glad the paci transition was an easy one. we are excited about college football too. we will be sporting green and gold over here, but you will get to celebrate more victories. have a great trip to Chicago.