Sunday, October 12, 2008

First Homemade Baby Food Failure

I was so proud of myself today, I decided to make carrot baby food. I got them all steamed, and tossed them into my blender to start pureeing. Well, the blender was doing its stupid blender thing and pushing all the carrots up with the blade spinning below it, not doing any pureeing. So I carefully stuck a wooden spoon in to help push the carrots down. It worked great! I was getting close to being done when

WHACK

The spoon hit the blade, splintering into 50 pieces in my carrot puree.

There goes that batch.

Note to self: Next time, even though it's annoying, turn blender OFF, stir, and turn back on again.

Over the weekend, I bought Kate a Jumperoo on Craigslist. She LOVES it!

Photobucket

7 comments:

Heather B. said...

Here is a good website for homemade baby food. My ped told me not to make homemade carrots because they have nitrates in them that cannot be removed. But if you buy them they screen for them and have much less than if you make them at home. I know that Gerber does the screening but not sure about other brands. My kids only had organic Gerber!

http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/nitratearticle.htm

Just thought I would pass this along to you.

Love the jumperoo!!!

Kari said...

You are such a good mom, making homemade stuff for your children! She is so very cute! Love all the pictures that you continue to snap and share with us! How fast they grow up!

Anonymous said...

we also had a homemade carrot fiasco as our first baby food attempt. i didn't cook them enough so they didn't get smooth and brynne gagged and spit them everywhere. then i went with softer foods like bananas and sweet potatoes and it was much better. :) keep trying...much cheaper and healthier than store bought....amanda

Anonymous said...

i just realized i posted as anonymous and didn't put my whole name, sorry!

Anonymous said...

okay, i'm really not as stupid as this looks, still trying to put my name....amanda norton

Elin said...

Make sure you use organic carrots to make baby food (actually one should only use organic carrots, others are apparently used as soil cleaners! - and then sold)But you'll get the hang of making baby food, I used a magic wand, by blender never worked quite right. After a few months Snorri wanted more substance so I just mashed his veggies with a fork!

Nancy said...

Yikes I never knew all that about carrots - guess I'll be buying organic carrots now.