Thursday, November 6, 2008

Adventures in Baby Food

I had my first homemade baby food success today! I went produce shopping at our awesome local indoor farmers market store, Sprouts, so I picked up a squash to try my hand at making for Kate. It was a total success, and very easy! I had lots of fun and will definitely do it again, as well as branch out to new foods. And just because I have way too much time on my hands, I photo-documented the process.

Exhibit A: Butternut Squash

Photobucket

Two halves of the squash with the seeds scooped out. I had no idea how much it smelled and looked like a pumpkin inside! This also brought back nightmares of my mom trying to make us eat squash when we were kids...

Photobucket

Baking squash in the oven. Surprisingly it smelled good.

Photobucket

Pureeing squash in the blender.

Photobucket

All poured out into the ice cube trays with one serving for tonight in a Gerber pack. I'm guessing it made enough for probably 14 meals, which would be about $8 if I bought the baby food, but this one squash cost me about a dollar!

Photobucket

mmm, fresh squash. I tasted it, not bad! I thought the taste was good, but was surprised by the texture as it seemed a bit gritty or something...

Photobucket

The happy squash eater.

Photobucket

3 comments:

Nancy said...

What do you mean nightmares! ;)

Nancy said...

Cute pic - now u can watch for her to get "tan".

Nancy said...

Great photo essay!