Saturday, November 14, 2009

Recovery III

Jeff is up in Oklahoma at the OU game, Kate is asleep, and I'm bored so I figured now is as good a time as any to update on Kate's recovery progress. So today is, what, day 9? The last time I posted, she was doing great - then, starting around day 6 or 7, she took a turn back downward again for a few days. She started waking up twice a night in pain, needing more meds and comort rocking, and during the day she would be eating, drinking, or playing and then all of a sudden cry out in pain. She'd run over to me and lift her arms up for me to hold her/carry her around a bit. The pain scared her and she didn't know why it was happening or where it was coming from. Poor little sweetie.

Today, however, she was a little bit better again. She was more playful, had a decent appetite, and an even better thirst. She took a few sips of water and drank TWO Capri Suns! Prior to this it would take her about 2 days to finish ONE! The ENT told us at this point not to worry about the nutritional value of what she's eating or drinking, as long as she is. I can already tell she doesn't WANT to drink water when she could have Capri Sun, but that's a battle I'm going to save for when she's feeling better. I'm not going to let her get away with that one! But for now, as long as she's drinking, I'm a happy mommy.

She's supposedly going back to daycare on Monday, though I'm not sure that's really going to happen. Recovery really is taking longer than I expected, and I just don't know if she's ready for daycare. The ENT also said she should be completely off the Codiene before she goes to daycare - which we are still using at night. So tonight since she had such a good day I decided to go without, just giving her regular Tylenol to see what happens. Well, she's been down for 3 hours and has already been up twice crying. Wonderful. She was just due for more, so I gave in and gave her Codiene. We'll just take this one day at a time. At some point she has to go back to normal, right?

1 comment:

Heather B. said...

It will get better. One day she will wake up and be the Kate she was before all of this minus all the sickness! I promise it will happen. I distinctly remember that day during my recovery. Praying for much needed sleep for all of you!