Thursday, June 26, 2008

Slowly Figuring it Out

What a rollercoaster this last week has been. Last weekend was probably the roughest time I've had since Kate has been with us. I learned that oversupply certainly was NOT my problem. For whatever reason, my milk supply just completely dried up Friday and Saturday. I did some reading on it and they say the best way to regain your supply is to basically constantly nurse, so that's what I did. Boy did that suck. By Saturday night, Kate was crying because she was starving and not getting anything, and I was crying through every feeding because it hurt so badly. That day I fed her everything I had in the freezer stash I had built up, but unfortunately I had to resort to giving her a bottle of formula. I cried through that feeding too. But I had no other choice, I wasn't producing enough for her. We gave her a bottle of soy formula because I still had dairy eliminated from my diet, so I wanted to keep that experiment going. Man, I feel sorry for any of you moms who have/had to feed soy. That stuff is NASTY. It smelled awful before it was even consumed, much less how bad it was coming back up! It really makes me appreciate how little breastmilk spit-up stinks. I was in so much pain that I had to take a break from breastfeeding Sunday, and pumped milk every 2 hours, as also suggested to try to increase your milk supply. I did that all day and I only had enough milk that she had to have 2 bottles of formula. But I kept it up, and both Monday and Tuesday I had pumped enough to keep up with her except for one bottle of formula both days. Yesterday, I had enough for every feeding!!! Hallelujah!! I know formula isn't the end of the world, but I'm very committed to making the healthiest choices I can for her, and I will continue to give her breastmilk as long as physically possible.

So, through this whole journey, it made me think about her "symptoms" of a milk protein allergy, and I think it was from hunger. She was crying through every feeding because she wasn't getting enough out of me! So starting with her Monday formula bottle, I gave a milk-based formula. It went great, no problems at all! So I started eating dairy again. YAY!! That was SO hard to go without for a week!! It's amazing how much dairy we consume. I've noticed she is a bit more gassy when I eat dairy, but she doesn't seem to be in pain from it. So I'll try to take it easy on the dairy, but for now it looks like I don't need to cut it out.

It's still stressful trying to get my supply back and all the work involved with pumping every two hours, but it's worth it to know she can get my milk. She has seemed less fussy in the last couple days too, although she isn't napping overly well. I think I've accepted the fact that she's just not much of a napper. She is sleeping GREAT overnight though. She's averaging 7 hours straight, and on Monday night it was 7 hours, 45 minutes!

I have another experiment to run on Kate though. I came over to my parents' house for the day because Jeff had softball, and I had Kate's swing set up for her naps. Amazingly, she took a 2 HOUR nap! I thought I died and went to heaven. When she got up from her nap, she felt nice and cool. At home, she always feels hot when I get her up from the swing. We noticed that where I set it up here at their house, it was right underneath some A/C vents, and where the ceiling fan gets her. At home, the swing sits sort of in a dead spot, underneath a window where the morning sun comes in. I'm going to move it to a cooler area of the house, I haven't figured out where yet, and see if that helps at all.

So I feel like we're slowly starting to figure things out. Everything with a baby is SUCH trial and error! But it's very rewarding when you start to get it right. This last week, or really the last couple weeks, were so stressful though, I just want to decompress for a while. I really look forward to the weekends when I can just be home with Jeff and enjoy Kate together.

4 comments:

Heather B. said...

I am so glad that everything is slowly getting better with y'all.

As for your supply, I had mega trouble with mine with Kendall. A friend suggested "Organic Mother's Milk Tea"!! That stuff works wonders. Along with drinking that and pumping or nursing every two-three hours my supply was back in about 3-4 days.
And I kept drinking it the entire time I nursed her. It doesn't taste that great at first but you get use to it. If you want your supply back fast this is the stuff to get!!! I got mine at HEB they also have it at Whole Foods!

Let me know how it works if you get it!! Trust me it will save your nursing days!!!

Elin said...

I'm so glad it's not dairy!! Both your and Katie's lives will be so much easier :-)
Milk supply is a "funny thing" one thing that can really hurt is stress and worry and constant strain so it's no wonder that your supply has been diminished with all this trouble you've been having. I agree with the tea suggestion, and the far best I tried was Stinging Nettle tea (just add alot of honey or sugar !!)
-Elin.

karakae1 said...

I'm so sorry to hear that nursing hasn't been going so well. That's great that you're going to keep trying, I hope it gets better. I hope the swing works for you and Kate. For the first couple months that was the only way I could get Rayna to fall asleep. I worried about her not being able to fall asleep on her own but she grew out of it. Sometimes you have to do whatever works!

Leslie said...

the main ingredient in the tea that helps with milk supply is Fenugreek. You can just buy a fenugreek supplement (whole foods carries it), and take the pill version instead of the tea. talk to your lactation consultant again about it, but ours always suggests fenugreek (i'm an OB nurse at presby - allen), and if you need, talk to your OB about a prescription for Reglan, which also helps with milk supply.