
I love it. I knew there would be a learning curve when it comes to making this cake, so I decided to start NOW with test cakes to make sure I can do it perfectly by the time Kate's birthday comes. So, without further ado, my first test cake.

HA!!!! It was a total disaster. The cake is so deep that it took almost an hour to bake, and by the time it was physically done, it was so burnt to a crisp! It was nasty. So, to be fair, I didn't really even try to do the frosting right, but I could tell that it would be very difficult to make the frosting look like the model cupcake. I don't know how to do it in those perfect swirls?? So I'm thinking about giving up. I'll probably try another test cake here or there, but there's a girl at our church who does amazing cake decorating, so I might just have her do it for me!



6 comments:
Awww, that's a really cute cake, though! One suggestion I have is buying a cake leveler to level off the bottom portion of the cake before you put the top one on. It's a given that it's going to be puffier in the middle from baking, so you can even it out that way. Hope that helps some! :-)
That is what I did for Luke's birthday. I know there are pictures of it on facebook, maybe my blog too. Anyway, it does take a bit longer to bake but I think the cupcake pan had a recipe on it and I used that for the baking instructions even though I didn't use that particular recipe. It was my mom's so I don't have it here but I can ask her about if it you want. I agree with Jimmie about leveling the cake before you put them together. Definitely try again. I know you can do it! And let me know if I can encourage you!
good first try, I was thinking about getting that mold for Evie's 5th bday..... what I always do is take a knife and shave the uneven spots, crumbs everywhere, then I put it the cake in the fridge. A little later, I put a light frosting layer on the cake, then it goes back in the fridge for another hr or so. Then I put on the final layer of frosting. The first layer hides all the crumbs and making the cake cold (keep frosting room temp) makes it easy to spread with no crumbs
You girls are all so encouraging! haha!
Ha ha, that's why I did multiple tries at Micah's duckie cake too. The first one was a disaster with the frosting (though the form was okay). I have another friend who said the cake fell apart when she used that big cupcake mold too. Maybe using a pound cake would help? If you keep trying, you will find something that works. :)
Post a Comment