I think I have discovered Kate's first food allergy. Ever since she started eating solids, she has eaten Gerber's baby oatmeal with no problem. A couple weeks ago I decided to graduate her to normal adult oatmeal, so I fixed her a packet of Quaker Instant apple cinnamon oatmeal. (One of my favorites!) She loved it, but a few minutes into eating it, I noticed that everywhere it touched her skin, she was breaking out in hives! I stopped feeding her and washed it off her skin quickly. I gave her some Benadryl and within an hour she was fine. I assumed it must have been one of the additives, spices, or whatnot in the instant oatmeal packet. We went back to baby oatmeal for a while.
This morning I made her oatmeal again, this time however, just normal plain Quaker oatmeal - nothing packeted or added. The same thing happened! I don't get it! Poor baby. So I guess I should just have her avoid oatmeal all together now? Or try it again in a month or two? I guess I'll ask her Ped next month.
Here's the latest cute shot I've gotten of her. She's wearing an adorable hand-me-down from her friend Ava!
2 comments:
That is too weird since she can eat the baby oatmeal. It is made from the same stuff. Maybe you could mix 3/4 baby and 1/4 regular and see if that still happens. If not that just gradually increase the regular and decrease the baby until she is only eating the regular. It may just be too strong for her right now! Maybe introducing it slowly will help!!!
I stumbled across your blog. Have you read up on gluten allegies? It might explain some of your daughter's previous symptoms especially the rash after eating oatmeal. Elizabeth Hasselbeck has an interesting new book out about her gluten allergy. Either way I hope your little one gets better.
Post a Comment