I'm so mad and sad at the same time. Seriously, I don't know what else I could have done to prevent myself from getting sick. See my post 2 days ago to see all the preventative measures I was taking, and in addition taking extra Vitamin C AND sleeping in the guest room...
And here I am today, sick as a dog. Of course Jeff could take all kinds of medicines to make him feel better, but I'm stuck with throat lozenges.
Is my immune system seriously that crappy that given all the precautions I took, I still can't keep myself from getting sick?! I might as well have licked his dirty kleenexes.
The worst part about it all is that I wont be able to hold, cuddle, or come within 20 feet of of sweet Micah. Being sick stinks, but I'm most upset that I don't get to spend quality time with the little guy I'll probably only get to see 1-2 times a year! :( So sad.
Maybe I should pack rubber gloves and a breathing mask, and see if they let me hold him for a minute or two. hehe.
a prayer for back to school
3 years ago



3 comments:
I hate being sick, too. Vitamin C doesn't actually prevent you from getting sick; it just helps to shorten the duration, so be sure to keep taking it. Handwashing is the biggest thing you can do to prevent being sick, but even with me being so careful since I work in a biohazard lab, I still get sick all the time. When you are pregnant, your immune system is especially compromised, because, believe it or not, your body is compromsing its immune system (in a completely natural, normal way), for you to be pregnant. What the body "should" do is recognize that the baby is a foreign entity within the body and destroy it...but somehow the body's chemicals work in such a series that it is able to tell the body that a splinter is bad, so attack it, and a baby is fine (even though the DNA and blood don't match), so keep it (and yet a donated organ is bad, so attack it). Sadly, what that means is that some women with very strong immune systems can never get pregnant, because their body terminates the pregnancy almost immediatley (and yet, terminally ill people can get pregnant---my friend is the daughter of a terminally ill mother; her mother died when she was very very young and wasn't supposed to get pregnant). So despite getting sick and not being able to take anything for it (it doesn't matter, antibiotics only work on bacteria, not viruses, anyhow, and I'm sure you're allowed to suck on candy for a sore throat!), there is ONE good thing...if you had a really good immune system, you wouldn't be pregnant :) Funny how that works, huh?
So sorry you are sick. I wish you a speedy recovery.
I know how you feel. When I went back to Oklahoma last summer (I was about 5 months) I got sick as a dog and was really sick on the LONG plane ride back. It was pretty bad not being able to take anything. But the good news is since your pregnant you have an extra excuse to take lots of naps.
Post a Comment