What a whirlwind we've been through since Kate's birth! Overall everything is going great. Things were a little rough until my milk came in, but after that things got better. A few days after we got home from the hospital, we did notice that Kate was looking a bit yellow, and we suspected Jaundice. We took her to the pediatrician, and sure enough, it was. Her bilirubin level was 17.1. They also weighed her and she had gone from 8lbs 6 oz at birth, to 7lbs 7 oz. :( I know weight loss is normal, but it still made me sad. The ped prescribed feeding every 2 hours. We had to mix in formula too, because they didn't know if the jaundice was bf'ing related, and I also couldn't produce that much for her! Her check the next day showed her levels way decreased at 11.6, so that was one crisis averted! It was stressful for that 24 hours though. We went in for a weight check on Wednesday, and she was up to 8 lbs, 1/2 oz! So that's great! A little over half a pound in less than a week! Otherwise she has been feeding well, but I feel like there's always something to worry about - now she's spitting up. I know spit up is normal, but sometimes I feel like she has a lot more than is normal. Last night after a feeding, she projectile spit-up the entire thing. I couldn't believe the amount of fluid that came out of her. :( Poor sweet heart. Since then I've cut back a bit on what she's been eating per feeding, hoping that helps. It has so far, she spits up a little bit here and there, but has a projectile incident. I just hope she's getting enough food. Hopefully she'd let me know if she wasn't. There's so much to worry about when you're 100% responsible for the health and well-being of a baby who can't communicate much to you!
But overall she is an amazing baby. Very quiet, calm, observant, and easy-going. She really only cries when she's hungry. I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop and for her to turn into a "normal" baby that has fussy periods, but it hasn't happened yet. She's an angel.
Bailey has had 2 more seizures since Kate has been born... :( She's officially epileptic, and we have her on medication. She's acting really drugged on the meds, but it's the only thing we can do. They say the side effects should go away after 2 weeks. So hopefully they will.
So that's what we've been up to, I'll leave you with a couple more Kate pictures!




7 comments:
Glad things are looking up for you guys. Both boys were jaundice and Luke's levels were high enough that we had to have him under bili-lights for a couple of days. Glad her levels didn't get too bad and was over with quickly. Don't worry, she will give you moments of being "normal" and then you'll be so thankful she is an easy baby!
I'll take study/qual over baby ;)
I am so glad that she is doing good!!! On the spit up issue. She might actually have gas just not enough to make her really fussy. And she is over eating to compensate for the pain. My Kendall did this and she did exactly what Kate is doing. Since she wouldn't take a paci to help relieve her pain, I started giving her Gripe Water. It is an all natural with ginger in fennel in it. You can probably get it at your grocery store or Target. I get the little tummies brand!! Kendall is almost a year and I still give it to her about 15-30 mins before she eats!
Glad she got over the jaundice!! She is just absolutely adorable!!!! I am excited to watch her grow. Now you need someone to give you a baby girl blog makeover!!!
Oh, Laura, she really is an angel. So sweet!
I can't wait to see you guys in 2 weeks if the timing works out for everyone!
She's so adorable when sleeping!! So sweet!
She's lovely Laura! Snorri had terrible stomic cramps and we didn't sleep for three months... not so good but we got over it with everybody alive and well.
I'm sure she'll tell you if she needs more food I'm sure the growth spurts will show you as much.
In the mean time try to relax and rest as much as you can that really helps with the milk production.
best wishes from Iceland!
Rayna spit up alot too. The doctor told us it was normal as long as it didn't seem painful for her to spit up and to burp her alot during feedings. She'll let you know if she's hungry. Kate's so sweet, make sure you enjoy her now while she still wants to be held.
Post a Comment