Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Another Bad Day

Kate is refusing to nap again today. I can tell she's overtired, and the only thing that's pacifying her is nursing. Which isn't going to cut it. We are stuck in a vicious cycle. She wants to eat, so I let her, but she falls asleep on me, I lay her down, she wakes up 20 minutes later wanting to "eat" again. She's using me as a pacifier, which I need to stop right now. Today, she's been nursing every hour and a half or so, which I KNOW is too much. There's no way she's hungry. I'm not sure what's wrong, but at our last "feeding," she SCREAMED every time I sat her up to burp. It was at that point I swaddled her, put her in her swing, and walked away. I can't take it anymore. Thankfully she's not crying right now and just sitting in her swing calmly, but who knows how long it'll last. I just don't get why she won't sleep. She'll take the pacifier sometimes, but others she wants nothing to do with it.

I talked to the Pediatrician yesterday about how Kate's reflux symptoms are improving, but only slightly, and they said I could increase her dosage, so today is our first day of the higher dosage. I hope it makes her feel better. She's spitting up a little bit less, but not much... But the biggest improvement is that she hasn't projectile vomited since starting the Prevacid. But several times a day I can tell that she's in pain from the reflux - crying, coughing, gagging, arching her back, etc.

We are going to see a lactation consultant on Thursday. For about two weeks now we've had a problem with Kate's latch. I've been trying different things to fix it, but I haven't been able to, and don't know what else I can do. So hopefully they can help me fix it. Maybe they'll have some suggestions for me as well on how to break Kate's cycle of overeating and not sleeping? Who knows.

4 comments:

Holly said...

Hang in there!!! I can't imagine how you're doing it, but hang in there!!!

Elin said...

Over here, the first thing they tell us (nurses, midwifes, pediatricians etc.) is to try to eliminate dairy from our diet. If you haven't tried that give it a try - so all things with milk protein out. We have a baby in the family now that hasn't been diagnosed with an allergy to dairy but he definetly shows symptoms when his mom eats so much as a slice of cheese. I don't have advice about the latching. Breast feeding didn't go well for Snorri and me.

I know it's hard. You will get through it eventually!
-Elin.

Susana la Banana said...

Just wanted to jump in with this--babies go through a growth spurt at 6 weeks, so maybe she's nursing a bunch to help you increase your supply to keep up with her growth! Smart baby. ;) Although of course there are so many other things going on that you are having to deal with, just wanted to reassure you that nursing frequently is a NORMAL thing to expect from some babies at this age. And the nursing tends to get SOOO much easier once they get past that 6 week growth spurt. Good luck!

Susana la Banana said...

Just to be doubly clear...NOT that you guys don't have some troubles! I know you're going through A LOT. Just wanted to suggest that maybe a little bit of it is a regular ol' growth spurt ON TOP OF all that other stuff, food allergy and all else that might be going on.

I think new moms are amazing creatures, with all this stuff to figure out and deal with. Keep up the good work! =)