Kate was testing my limits a bit today. She was awake for over 6 HOURS today. She'd just be wide awake, not wanting to sleep at all, then act starving, so I let her eat as long as she wanted, stopping every 5 minutes to burp and see if she wanted more, which she always did. So finally she'd get drowsy so I'd sit her up to burp and out it all comes, projectile style. Repeat this cycle about every hour and you have my day.
I don't understand why she won't sleep. She's not fussy, just wide awake and looking around. I haven't had caffiene in over a week, it can't be normal for a 4 week old to be up for 6 hours. It was so frustrating and draining. Finally around 3:30 I got her to go to sleep by some miracle, and I went straight to bed as well. I got a good 2 1/2 hour nap, so I'm feeling a bit better, and she's still asleep. I really hope today wasn't an indication of something I can expect out of her regularly. It makes me wonder if she really was reacting to caffeine in my diet or not, because she was sure acting like it today but like I said, I haven't had any in a long time.
I ordered some books last week about sleep and scheduling for babies, so hopefully they will come soon and give me some help! She was a good girl once again at church today. She was wearing the cutest little white sundress. I didn't get a picture of her in it, but maybe one day this week I'll put her back in it and snap some pictures. She was wide awake for the whole lesson, but sat in her carseat relatively patiently.
Even though I was really frustrated with her earlier today, I'm still thankful she's not a crier. I'd take her being awake all day long over being a fussy, crying baby. So I need to look on the bright side of things and be thankful!
a prayer for back to school
3 years ago



2 comments:
Oh honey!! I have a little boy who is now 4 yrs old who was JUST like this when he was a baby.
Here is what I did for him and these are just suggestions for you! I know how hard it is to be a new Mommy and not know exactly what you should do.
She really may be having gas! Connor had gas bad but he NEVER cried about it. He just had a rock hard tummy all the time. Use gripe water. I think I mentioned it in another comment. It is the most amazing stuff EVER!!! If she is eating and then throwing it all up, she is just using you to pacify herself. She is not eating because she is hungry. Sucking soothes her tummy pains that she may be having then she overeats and throws up. Does she take a pacifier?? If not see if she will take one. This may satisfy her so she doesn't ALWAYS want to nurse.
The stuff you eat and drink will probably not have an effect on her. I always thought this with my 2, but my lactation nurse told me that it doesn't effect them much!
Kendall, my daughter, use to stay awake for what seemed like FOREVER. Just like Kate. It was crazy. But now she is a great sleeper. Sometimes nursing babies don't sleep as well as formula feed babies. Unfortunatley, there is not much you can do about that.
As for the books, I think most of them are great. I have read most although none of them have ever worked for us. All babies are different. Hopefully, they will work for you and baby Kate!!!
Sorry this comment is so long. I just like to help out new Mommy's the way I WISH someone would have helped me. If you have any questions just leave me a comment on my blog. I will be happy to help you in any way possible!!!
Heather
I'm so sorry you are tired all the time!
Snorri was a crying baby, had gas and stomach cramps, but when he was 4 weeks old we got an herbal remedy for him made of chamomilla, peppermint and fennel - calming and reduced gas and he was just a whole another baby after getting the remedy. Is there a health store - herbal store or something online with remedies for babies?
As for whats normal for 4 week olds to sleep, we went to a sleeping therapist when Snorri was about 3 months and she told us that pretty much everything is normal until then, and then at about 3 months you can start teaching them how to sleep and make them a schedule.
-thinking of you!
Post a Comment