Well, Kate finally went to sleep last night at midnight. What a day. The good news is that she slept from midnight to 6 am! Amazing! Then, she ate and was back asleep by 7, and took a 3 hour nap. (so Mommy did too!) Then, she ate and fell back asleep and took another hour long nap, so I could get my shower. I think exhaustion finally hit her.
My friend Kerry who is a pediatrics nurse came over and brought me lunch today. During the course of our visit, she got to observe Kate. Her first sign was that Kate spit up a good hour and a half after she last ate. She said that's definitely an indicator of reflux instead of Pyloric Stenosis. If it were Pyloric, it would all come up right away rather than hours later. When Kate spit up, she was laying on the floor, so I picked her up to try to keep her in an upright position. She spit up again while I was holding her, and right before she did, she had a pained look on her face, and then afterwards she was arching her back. All of which Kerry said shows she's in quite a bit of pain from her reflux. Poor dear.
Kerry suggested that Kate might enjoy being in a cradle swing instead of the front-to-back swing we already had (and she doesn't like.) She also said it would help with the reflux because she would be sleeping in a more upright position than laying on the wedge in her crib. It rung a bell with me, because the way I soothe Kate to sleep is by cradling her on my legs and swinging her side to side. DUH so why not let a swing do that for me?? So Kate and I ran right out and bought her a swing. On our way home, I think poor Kate had a reflux attack because she was crying her pained cry, and coughing, choking, and gagging in between breaths. Poor little thing. I got home and tried to keep her happy as long as possible while I got the swing together. Once it was ready for her, I fed her a bit, swaddled her, and laid her in the swing. She was asleep less than 5 minutes later! She has been down for an hour now, fingers crossed. (but I do hear her stirring...)
It stinks that I had to buy another swing at $135, but if it works, as my mom said, it will be worth its weight in gold.
So, that's the update for today. Everything is so much trial and error, but hopefully soon we will have her reflux under control and sleeping well sometime soon.
a prayer for back to school
3 years ago



4 comments:
That is the kind of swing I have and I would recommend it to anyone. That swing is the only way I got ANYTHING done. Hope it works for you. Glad you had a better day today!
Grayson also did not like swinging front to back but would sleep for hours swinging side to side. Hope this is the cure!
You know, Isabella had really bad reflux at that age, and we had many sleepless nights as well. The thing that worked for her was Axid (a prescription acid reducer) and sleeping in her carseat. I know you said that Kate didn't like her carseat, but we put Bella's carseat in her crib perpendicular to the slats so she wouldn't be able to squirm down and out of the seat. And then we slept her in the seat unbuckled until she was able to roll over. We tried propping her up in the bed, etc. but she would slide down off the wedge. So the carseat was awesome for us!
Post a Comment