Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Well, there goes that one.

Make this 3 nights in a row, only tonight she started at 5:00. I'm not sure what to do anymore. I followed all her cues, and tried to soothe her to sleep at the right moment. I did, but less than 15 minutes later, she was crying again. We're going on 4 hours of the vicious cycle right now. I don't know what to do anymore. She acts like she's starving, but as soon as she's done eating, she spits it all up. Overnight and during the day when she eats, she spits up minimally, but in the evening to late evenings like this, she spits up copious amounts. So I doubt she's hungry, but feeding her is the ONLY way to soothe her and get her to sleep, otherwise she's screaming. The problem is, if she's not spitting up and actually gets to sleep, she wakes up less than 15 minutes later. I've wondered if it's reflux, but if it were, wouldn't she have the problem 24 hours a day, and not just between the hours of 5 pm and 1 am? She hates her swing, bouncy seat, etc.

Is this just what babies do? A phase we need to bear through? What should I do for her? Since it's the only thing that soothes her, just let her nurse and nurse and nurse... And spit and spit and spit?

7 comments:

Heather B. said...

I so wish I could be there with you right now as I have been through this EXACT thing!! IT IS GAS!!!!!! I would bet hard core money on it. Babies that have gas usually have it the worst at night. Not sure why but they do. Have you tried giving her a little bit of formula to see if that helps any. I know you may be against that but it might help. She just may need something a little heavier on her tummy at night. Let me know exactly what you are doing and I will see if I can help you step by step. Email me if you want ponytailbabe at gmail dot com!!!!

If not I understand. I am willing to help if you want me to though!!!!!

Hope your night gets better!!!!

Elin said...

I would also guess gas, since this seems to be a classic desicription. Few hours at the same time every day - or every other day.
First of all, it WILL end, and you WILL get through it.
Try not to focus on a routine just yet, she is so small that she may not be very acceptable to that yet. We were told to start seriously with a routine at 3 months.
You can google some newborn massage instructions, preferably for her belly to help her get the gas out. See if your doctor allows for some very little and very thing chaemomille tea to sooth her tummy.
Just remember this is not your fault it any way - it's very normal for them to get gas at this age!

-Elin.

Susana la Banana said...

Yep, like everyone said, it's probably gas and it's VERY common for babies this age to have a "fussy period" in the late evening...and not your fault! Definitely the tummy massage might help. Also, are you switching sides when you nurse a lot? Sometimes doing that will cause more gas because foremilk has more stuff in it that can contribute to gas than hindmilk--so you can try to just offer one side for an hour or two before switching to the other side and see if that helps. It helped James a LOT with his gassy infant issues. (And just FYI, formula can often add problems if you've got a gassy baby to begin with--harder for them to digest=more gas in breakdown.)

And for the sleeping tips, you could also try The No-Cry Sleep Solution--doesn't that sound like a happy thing to have? Good luck and YES IT IS JUST A PHASE. My favorite parenting mantra is This Too Shall Pass. Enjoy the beautiful stuff and good luck getting through the sleepless times. ;)

Jennifer said...

I would check with your doctor about giving her Zantac. I have heard about this.

Joann said...

Does she take a pacifier? Maybe she just needs to suck and is getting too much milk sucking on the breast often.

Robin 'n Casey said...

I agree with most everyone. I think it is probably gas & she might need the pacifier instead of nursing. Sucking on something is very soothing to babies and it decreases the risk of SIDS. Don't try to be on a routine yet - it seems very hectic with no rhythm for the first few months - she's too little for a routine right now. You might try some Mylicon drops - Grayson didn't have much gas but the couple of times he did they helped. If you do give formula use a Dr. Brown's bottle - they WORK. Grayson rarely had gas issues. And even though it may seem like she is spitting up all that she took in - it looks like way more coming up than going down - Grayson spit up a lot also - all day and night though. Hope this helps! Good luck!

Emily said...

Luke was like that. He was VERY fussy in the evenings and nothing would calm him or help him sleep. Luke was colicky, you may want to look into that. If it is happening around the same time each night, there is a good chance it is colic. Luke wanted to suck on my finger, which wasn't very convenient so I bought 'soothie' pacifiers. They worked like a charm. He still had his crying bouts each evening, but they were over in a couple of months. Don't worry, it will end. You can also try gas drops (mylicon) with each feeding, sometimes that helps a little bit. But if that doesn't help I would definitely call your Dr. and see about the Zantac. My nephew had to have that for awhile, and it did help. I'll be praying for you and hope it gets better sooner than later!