Well I survived my first day back to work! Kate did too. :) I was actually fine all day and didn't cry once. I think it helped SO much that she had already been going to daycare, so it wasn't a big deal for me to drop her off. It was a little sad to pick her up at 6:00, and put her to bed at 7:00... It's sad to think that's all the time I'm going to get to see her during the week. I'm sure once I'm in the swing of things at work the days will be shorter though. It was a good day - I think I'm really going to enjoy it. (As long as I have to be working, that is!)
As for Kate, we sort of have a new problem/adventure going on with her. She has started spitting up pretty big amounts again (after having stopped completely at 6 months.) When I picked Kate up this evening, they told me that she projectile vomited 2-3 times today. Poor baby. We discussed what had been going on with Kate over the weekend - that she had been eating Cheerios and Graham Crackers for the first time. Then, last night when I put Kate to bed, she SCREAMED. She did NOT want to be in bed. If I was holding her she was fine, but when I laid her back down, she screamed again. Anyone who knows Kate knows that this is not normal for her at all. She's normally super easy to get to bed. Then she woke up screaming again around 5 this morning, which again, she hasn't done since she was about 8 weeks old. (Of course she chose to have a night like this my last night before going back to work!) So the girls who keep Kate said that she screamed today as well when they laid her down for her naps. They suggested that it could possibly be a wheat problem?! Which makes a lot of sense... She had eaten a ton of Cheerios and Graham crackers over the weekend, and had spit up / mildly vomited a ton as well. I looked up wheat allergy in infants and sure enough some of the symptoms are abdominal cramps, nausea, and vomiting. So that could totally explain her screaming if she had abdominal cramping and/or nausea. Poor dear. So I'm going to cut out wheat for a couple weeks, see what happens, then reintroduce and see if it comes back.
a prayer for back to school
3 years ago



3 comments:
Wow! Poor sweetie! Let me know how it goes. It's helpful to have all the input that you get.
Poor baby!!! I don't think there's wheat in regular cheerios - they're made with oats. I don't think I gave Micah anything with wheat until much later on, but we were concerned with allergies. I know graham things can cause stomach pains too. Maybe just going back to the basics for a bit will help. Glad your first day back went well! I hope Kate feels better soon.
Laura, I've read that babies don't produce very much amylase, which is the enzyme that breaks down carbohydrates such as grains. They only really produce lactase and protease, which break down protein and milk. So, if she just started to eat cheerios, etc. then her gut may just not be used to the heavy grains yet. In fact, I know a lot of moms (not me) don't feed their babies any grains until 1 year of age. As someone who has spent a year on a gluten free diet, I will tell you that if it is a gluten or wheat allergy, she'll start losing a lot of weight. I hope you get it figured out soon because I know it must break your heart to have your baby sick.
Post a Comment