
Well, for an update with the crib mattress issue... I just decided to keep the one we bought originally. We loaded the mattress up in the car, and I took it back to Babies R Us, but before returning it, I went and checked out the rest of the mattresses, specifically the particular mattress my baby ratings book recommended. Well, when I compared the recommended mattress to the one we had bought, ours was actually QUITE a bit firmer than the recommended "204 coil" mattress. There was a little poster over in the mattress section about how to pick out a mattress, and the poster said that it's not necessarily all about the coil count... It's the firmness of the coil that matters. For instance, you could put 300 soft coils in a mattress and have it be much softer than a mattress with 100 firm coils. So I feel pretty good about our decision overall. I think it will be fine, like my mom said, who knows what kind of mattress I slept on when I was a baby! It feels fairly firm and I think a mattress would have to be awfully plush for the baby to sink in and suffocate... Plus for the first few weeks (and months?) the baby will be sleeping in the sleep positioner, for one more added layer of safety, and by the time he/she doesn't need that anymore, they will most likely have the strength to push up and move their head if they were to get stuck facing downwards. Plus, that's what the Angelcare mattress monitor is for - to tell me if they've stopped breathing!
Today on my lunch break I'm headed back to Babies R Us (I'm thankful I work so close to it!) to buy our travel system - car seat and stroller. I think that is the last "big" item we have to buy, that is so exciting!
By the way, have I mentioned how much hair I have lost??? I forget when it started... But I think right around 12 weeks. I wouldn't say it comes out in clumps or anything, but every time I brush my hair or take a shower, I lose a good 10, 15, 20 hairs. I'm to the point now where I'm shocked that I look like I still have a head of hair because this has been going on so long! Now I'm REALLY dreading the post-partum hair loss, because I won't have anything left to lose! I know it's common to lose your hair after having the baby, but I've never heard of losing so much during the pregnancy! It's starting to show a little bit too... The early hair loss is now growing back to the point where it sticks straight up off my head in the form of frizzies. Great.



No comments:
Post a Comment