Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Childbirth Education

Tonight, Jeff and I begin our "Prepared Childbirth Education" classes! I'm excited but a little bit nervous for some reason too. We have it every Wednesday night from 7-9 pm, running for 7 weeks. Originally they pointed us to the classes that start the first week of March, but by the time the 7 week course was over, we'd only have 3 weeks left until my due date. They recommend completing the classes 4-6 weeks before your due date. Starting now, in February, when the classes are done we'll have 7 weeks until my due date. We figured we'd rather feel prepared and be done early than not know what will happen in those last weeks, what complications I could develop, how uncomfortable I'm going to get, if I need to go on bedrest, or even deliver early!

So it's exciting to be taking the next step in getting closer to our baby! I wonder how many people we will have in our class. This week was also big in one other area - we finalized our names! Noah Ryan has always been our boy name from Day 1, but we could never settle on a girl name. Well, we finally did - Katherine (Kate) Marie! It's a lot of fun to know that I'm carrying around either Noah or Kate! We've even used one name or the other casually in conversation... It feels SO weird to be saying a name instead of "the Baby!"

One little fun trick I've been experiencing in the last few weeks is here at work... When I scoot my desk chair in so that my stomach is touching and sort of pressing into the desk, the baby will kick at it like "Get out of my way!!" So cute. :)

Itchiness - Same old, same old. I have mild to moderate itching just about every day. I think I need to settle in for the long haul.

3 comments:

Mike and Susanne said...

Love the names!

Have fun at your childbirth classes...make sure Jeff gets lots of practice with the back massage/relaxation part!

Jimmie said...

I like the names, though it did take some convincing for Aaron to realize that "Kate" really is short for "Katherine". (He even has a cousin named Katherine who goes by Kate, so go figure...) :-)

How did your childbirth class go? Hopefully it was interesting and fun!

Laura said...

Ha! Aaron doesn't know what he's talking about!