Class last night was so much fun! There are probably about 11 other couples or so. I was afraid we'd be the latest due date, but we're right in the middle of the crowd! I think the earliest due date was April 11, and the latest was May 20. So we're right in there!
Jeff and I were joking on our way there, wondering at which point we'd have to watch the actual birth video... We thought surely they wouldn't jump right in and make you watch it the first night... hahah YEP they did!!! It was pretty tame though, and wasn't very graphic. A lot of it was animation. It got me a little scared though! haha!
They had us all introduce ourselves, our due date, our doctor, what we were having, and the name of the baby. We're the only ones who don't know the gender! It was funny, when I said that we didn't find out what we're having, several people let out a gasp! HAHAHAHA! During our break between the 2 hours, one girl came up to me and said I must have a great husband for letting me use the name Noah! She wanted to name her boy Noah, but her husband didn't like it. So that was cute. :) They had just gotten back from the Bahamas. So jealous!
It was very much an intro class, but she told us about the hospital and their procedures, security procedures (it sounds really cool and hi-tech, keeping the baby safe from kidnappers!) food availability, what the rooms are like, and all sorts of stuff. The security system they have, I was really impressed with. Basically the mom's and baby's wrist/ankle bands have a GPS chip in them, the instructor called it a "lo-jack" for babies. If the baby comes within a certain distance of an open elevator or open stairwell door, an alarm goes off and all the cameras in the area point to that door! And if a baby comes within a few feet of the wrong mother, it also sets off some sort of alarm telling you it's the wrong match! Very cool! The bracelets are put on before the baby ever leaves the mother's room, right after delivery, so you know it's the right one. Plus, the chips have a sensor on the back of them that reacts to skin contact, so if the anklet or bracelet is ever removed, another alarm goes off that it is being tampered with. I have no question my baby will be safe!
I'm excited for next week! At the end of the night we practiced a breathing exercise for early labor while our husbands massaged our shoulders and necks. :) Nice!
a prayer for back to school
3 years ago



3 comments:
Oh, I almost forgot to tell you - I am going to be in OK/TX either Memorial Day or 4th of July weekend. I'm going to fly in to DFW and surprise my parents for one of those weekends, so I will have to stop by and see the baby if you guys are around. :-)
Kidnapping security??? How freeky for the very innocent Icelander! The only security we were told about in parenting class was how to take the baby home safe in a car!!! Crazy crazy America :-)
I'm amazed at the security! Must be a comfort :) Is this a lamaze class you're taking or just a class at the hospital?
Post a Comment