Monday, March 31, 2008

Afternoon Update

All is well, so far. As of this afternoon, the baby's heart rate had come down to an acceptable level, so that's good! They zoomed in on the heart during the ultrasound, and the doctor said that it looks perfectly healthy, no defects, etc. So that's great. The problem at this point is the extra amniotic fluid, they said it could either be just a fluke... They draw these lines of what "normal" is, and he said that there's always going to be people below and above that. He said it's likely I'm just one of the "above normal" people. The alternate cause he said are some genetic abnormalities in which the baby can't swallow effectively, but he doesn't think that's what it is. First of all, because I watched the baby take 3 gulps of fluid on ultrasound this morning, plus he said in the case of these abnormalities, there would be a large excess of fluid (because they're not drinking any), he said he would consider mine a mild excess.

So, he talked to my regular doctor, and he recommended I "be careful" for the next couple days and he wants to see me again on Thursday (and Monday!) and then go from there. I will go back to the perinatologist next Thursday for another Level II ultrasound, to check on the fluid levels, see if it has increased/decreased, etc.

So that's the update for now!

No comments: