Thursday, April 10, 2008

It's Always Something...

I had an eventful evening and overnight.

I was in our office last evening and it started pouring. Our treadmill backs up to the window, so I stepped up on the treadmill to watch it rain for a while. As I turned to step down off, my ankle that I broke in 3rd grade decided that would be a good time to give out (which it does periodically), so I fell off the treadmill! Thankfully I landed on my hands and knees, but I did feel lots of pelvic pressure the rest of the night. The baby was moving normally, so I wasn't too concerned.

Once again I didn't fall asleep until about 2 am... I'm just so dang uncomfortable! Especially my back. Then I woke up at 4 am with some "real" contractions, I think! They weren't overly painful or anything, but definitely different from what I've been experiencing. They were starting out like a BH, but it spread downwards, while staying hard at the top too, then the last 5-10 seconds was a crampy "ugh" lower uterine feeling. They came every 7-10 minutes from 4-5 am, then I fell back asleep until 6, when I said screw it and got up. So, my grand total of 3 hours of sleep! I think I need to get used to it. That was the third night in a row. It's probably a combination of physical discomfort and mental over-activity.

THEN, I go into the bathroom, and am about to step in the shower when I notice that the front side of my body looks like I spent the night in a tanning bed! I look sunburned!

So I was supposed to just get my steroid shot this morning and not be seen by the doctor, but with all my stupid high-maintenance-ness, he wanted to see me. PLUS, when I got there, my blood pressure was skyrocketed... Whatever! They had me lay on my left side for a few minutes, and it came back down to where they wanted it to be. I'm not sure what that was all about. She asked me if I was nervous, and I wasn't... So I don't know.

He said the "sunburn" is probably a reaction to the steroids, and said that as long as it's not bothering me (it's not) we're best off continuing with the second shot, so we did. And he said I'm stable, not dilating anymore. As far as the contractions, my body is likely just gearing up and practicing. Fun stuff.

It's nice, he told me he's the on-call doctor for this weekend, and said "Now that doesn't give you permission to go into labor..." haha But if I do, he's the one who will be taking care of me, so that's comforting! He was making fun of me for falling off a stationary treadmill and told me that I'm not supposed to be performing acrobatics while pregnant! :) I really like him. He has a great sense of humor and makes me laugh. He likes to give me a hard time anyway because my pregnancy was so quiet and textbook until about a month or two ago, now I'm one of his most high-maintenance patients!

No comments: